Jr. Statesmen Baseball (JSB) is a competitive baseball program designed to mentally and physically prepare 3rd thru 8th grade (9u-14u) players for Webster Groves High School (WGHS) baseball. Community-minded and community-grown, this program is open to any player living within or attending the Webster Groves School District that dreams of playing for their high school team. Who doesn’t want to be a Statesmen!
Trust the Process. Celebrate the Success.
Our mission is to build a program that trains and develops players from an early age (3rd grade; 9u), so they are ready to play for the Statesmen in high school… and that they stay in the Webster school system, because we have the training and experiences they are seeking.
Our goal is to instill the fundamental aspects of the game along with promoting Statesmen baseball ideals, a strong work ethic, sportsmanship, and teamwork while celebrating each player's successes on and off the field.
We are a non-profit, Amateur Sports Organization under the umbrella of the WG Baseball Softball League (WGBSL) so that we can leverage their administrative services (online registration / payments); insurance coverage (for players, coaches and board members); coordination of private and public-school games, and community outreach. Direction for the program is guided by the JSB Steering Committee made up of the five volunteers listed at the left, along with the advice of the Webster Groves High School Baseball coaching staff. Starting with the 2019 season, two of our steering committee members will also sit on the WGBSL Board of Directors.
JSB Baseball Teams
The Jr. Statesmen Baseball teams are structured in two levels: Development Teams (9u-11u) and Club Teams (12u-14u). We are proud to offer an opportunity for kids to play on the same team with their school friends, so they begin building camaraderie for as a team which will take them on into high school.
• JSB Development Teams - Established in 2013 as the Webster Orange Sox (WOS) baseball club, these 3rd-5th grade teams have officially joined the Jr. Statesmen Baseball program starting with the 2019 season. As the player's first introduction to the principles, routines, and philosophies of the WGHS Baseball program, the goal of these skill-development teams will be to prepare players for the Jr. Statesmen Club and high school teams. No tryouts are required, so there is a roster spot for everyone.
• JSB Club Teams - Established in 2018, the Jr. Statesmen Club team rosters are filled with 6th-8th grade AA and AAA level players selected from tryouts held each summer. The goal of these club teams will be to enjoy the game of baseball and to develop solid fundamental baseball skills so they are prepared for the high school team.
Coach qualifications, requirements, and selections will be set by the Jr. Statesmen Steering Committee, Advisers, and WGBSL Board of Directors.The Development Teams will be led by dedicated and qualified volunteer coaches and the Club Teams will be led by paid and volunteer coaches. Paid Head Coaches will not have a son on the team they coach, while volunteer Assistant Coaches may. All coaches are required to attend coaching clinics facilitated by the WGHS coaching staff. The coaching philosophy within this program will be under the guidance of the WG Head Coach to ensure we are adhering to the appropriate development levels for each age group.
| Season Highlights for the JSB Program
• January-February: Winter Warm Up (required for Club Teams; optional for Development Teams)
• March-June: Indoor & Outdoor Routine Practices 1-2 nights per week
• April–May: Club Teams play a series of Private & Public School Games (12-15 games)
• April–June: League Play + Local Tournaments (15-18 games)
• June: Jr. Statesmen Baseball Summer Camp with WGHS Varsity Coaches (open to JSB and non-JSB players)
• July-August: Club Team tryouts for Fall 2019 - Spring/Summer 2020 Season
• September-October: Club Teams play in 2-3 Local Fall Tournaments
• December or January: Jr. Statesmen Baseball Winter Clinic with WGHS Varsity Coaches (open to all JSB and non-JSB 4th -7th graders, sorry no 8th graders per MSHSAA rules)